Fifteen years ago his kidneys started to shut down and he began dialysis. Fourteen years ago he had his first transplant. That is the first time that he almost died. I won't know until heaven all the reasons why God has continued to give my dad time on this earth, but the following are just some of the moments my dad has been able to participate in and share with us.
- His youngest graduating from high school
- All 3 kids graduating from college
- All 3 kids getting married to wonderful spouses
- 6 precious grandchildren
- 11 Annual Hanson family vacations - wonderful times together at the beach, camping, or in Bend
- An anniversary trip with my mom to Southern Utah
- Time with friends and family
- Holidays
- Time at the cabin with his family
- Countless conversations with hundreds of medical personnel - all who love and/or respect my dad and who are able to see faith in action through my dad's story
I am thankful for all of those moments. I am thankful for the lessons I have learned through this journey: about faith in God and faith in others, about perseverance, about marriage. My mom's commitment to my dad through all of this is beautiful - the way God designed the marriage partnership to be.
While I am sad that my dad's participation in many of the moments above has not been what it could have been (for example, he can't get down on the ground with his grandkids or go outside and play ball with them like he would like to do), I am so very thankful for what we have been able to share.
And that is what I am choosing to reflect on today. I don't know how many more moments my dad will have with us, but I will be thankful for each one and trust that when God does finally take him home, He will have fulfilled His purpose for my dad's life on earth.
Thank you Lord for your graciousness and your many gifts you have given my family.
5 comments:
This is beautiful Heather. I am so glad you are taking the time to blog. I can already see how it is helping and I trust these will be treasured reflections to look back on.
Love you :)
Heather,
There are tears as I read this.
I am so sorry.
But this post is absolutely beautiful in honoring him. You love him well.
Have you thought about sitting down with an old tape recorder and recording life in his words? I am not sure if he is strong enough or able, but it may be a blessing to him, to you, to your family to capture His testimony, His life and memories.
I know I hold dearly to the ones I have of my family, some that are gone now too.
Love to you Heather.
Rest assured. He is good.
Sovereign, faithful and good... If you haven't listened to this yet, I would highly suggest it as I have shared similar fears on death and dying. It literally gave me a new perspective on this subject of dying... oh, how I fear it at times!
http://deathisnotdying.com/
Heather, you share your heart well. I am praying for you.
Beautiful. Praying for you and your family. Love, Bina
Sometimes the Spirit intercedes. When we have no words. Or energy, or even solace. Thank you for putting words to my grief and for sharing the joy - sometimes I need someone else to find it for me:)...
Post a Comment