Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Here are the highs and lows of my weekend:

Low: Having a nasty cold that kept me home from our plans of going camping with friends. This was a bummer since it is the only time we could go camping with them this year. The only good thing about this cold is it made me slow down and rest a little - plus it gave me an excuse to wallow a bit.

High: Spending time with my two guys relaxing. Chris has been building this really cool play structure for Sam - a boat - in our small backyard. On Saturday afternoon, we started priming it. It was a nice, relaxing day doing a fun project UNTIL...

Low: Sam had been acting tired and had curled up on my lap while I was sitting down watching Chris work on the boat. All of a sudden, Sam started seizing. Yes, seizing is what I said. Chris rushed him into the house and I called 911. It was incredibly scary. I kept going in and out of the room because the sight of Sam was making me panic. Chris was great under pressure - Sam stopped seizing but wasn't really responding - he started turning blue and foaming a little at the mouth. While waiting for the aide car to arrive, we switched places. Sam had calmed down and was just staring at me. We were so scared - all these horrible thoughts flash before you and you just start begging God. The fire department medics showed up to help and gave him a little oxygen and gave Chris & I a lot of reassurance and comfort. Once Sam would unlock his jaws, they had us give him infant tylenol to reduce the fever. Sam still wasn't talking, but he would look at the firemen when they would talk to him. We took him outside to see the fire truck before they left, but he just would curl up against Chris (completely uncharacteristic for him). He still wasn't talking which was scary - we were concerned that there was brain damage. Well, praise God, it turned out to be a febrile seizure - which is basically a seizure caused by a fever flaring quickly. Only 4% of children have them and most only have them once. There is no risk of permanent damage with these types of seizures. As far as his chances of having them again - who knows. We just have to wait and see.

High: Our son being OK! One hour after the seizure, he was back to himself - Lil' Mr. Chatterbox.

High: Starting some house projects - cleaning out the garage, should we have a yard sale? Setting up baby girl's crib.

Low: Feeling good enough to start a project and then the cold flaring up again so my projects are undone and my house is a mess.

High: Getting some scrapbooking time while home alone. That is right - I had the luxury of being home alone TWICE this weekend. Sam's aunt, Jean, took him for a bit on Friday so I could rest since I was sick. Resting for me that day meant doing something creative for myself. Then Monday, Chris took Sam fishing for a little while. So I rested again and scrapbooked. It was wonderful! I guess I needed that physical and mental space with everything going on because it was refreshing to be alone - most of the time I had it quiet - no music, no TV, no nothing. Just silence.

Overall, a fair weekend. I know that I have to live in the moment more and life right now is full of disappointments and enjoyments all jumbled together.

6 comments:

Amber said...

On the lows- So bummed you had to miss out too... How super scary that must have been with Sam. So glad everything is ok.

On the highs- SCRAPBOOKING!!! So jealous... Setting up the crib? ooo ooo can't wait to see what you do with the room. Are you still switching rooms?

Whitney said...

So glad Sam is okay. How scary. Tell him Aunt Nitney loves him!

Abbey said...

Whoa - SO thankful that Sam is back to himself! I've heard of that happening, but to actually have it happen to you/him must have been so terrifying. Looking forward to hanging out again now that your cold is on its way out - you should have a "nursery warming" party!

Rachel said...

How scary for you, Chris and Sam. So glad he is ok.

Yay for some scrapbooking time for you.

Jess said...

That had to be sooo terrifying with Sam. We're all relieved that he's ok! We love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Heather! I am so glad he is okay (and also that you are too) my goodness girl,this has been a difficult time for you.

I am praying.

Love, Keisha