Thursday, August 28, 2008

The little moments...

I was reflecting on motherhood the other day and confessing to myself that it just wasn't what I had idealized in my head.  It is hard work with not a lot of praise or instant results that typically are motivating to me.  It is not all fun and games or cuddles and giggles.

However, later on as I was putting Sam to bed, I just soaked in the sweet hugs I was getting from him and God pointed out to me that the joy of motherhood is in the little moments that together will form one big picture.  I can't see the picture yet, but I can enjoy the little moments.

Take this morning for example.  (WARNING: for those of you good mommies that NEVER let your kids eat junk food, please go no further for you will be appalled!)  It was breakfast time and I decided to make a party of it!

Our picnic breakfast (on our carpet)
consisting of powdered donuts
& milk

Entertainment provided by the TV






The two of us had fun eating our donuts and watching cartoons.  Sam was covered in powdered sugar.  While it may not have started us out with the right nutrition, it did start us out with the right attitude to have fun today - which we have!

Thank you Lord for showing me the importance of the little moments!



4 comments:

Amber said...

Yeah, What fun! I am so happy God gave you this little moment as well has the many others I know you've had in your almost 2 years of motherhood...can you believe it! He's almost 2! Time flies when your havin' fun. (aka breakfast picnics)Blogging 2 days in a row girl! Keep up the good work...want to hear about ALL the moments that bring you joy, reflection, meaning...the list goes on and on. Love ya!

Abbey said...

So fun! I love picnics like that... Sarah and I do that with breakfast in front of Super Why sometimes... Hmmm... I'm getting an idea for "Little Moments Monday"... =)

Rachel said...

Yeah! You do fun things too. Breaking the "rules" with mom is way more important than good nutrition, IMO.

KarenK said...

How fun!! I think I'll try this, too. It's funny how little moments like donuts and cartoons make such a lasting memory. You watch, when you least expect it he'll ask you to do that again.