Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Sam Catch-up

It seems that life is speeding up for me as a mother. I can hardly keep up with Sam's changes, both good and bad. Here is my effort to record some things that I want to remember...

Sam is really giving me a run for my money right now. He is definitely in the terrible two phase now. It has been especially hard since I worked temporarily the previous two weeks. While he did great for Amber who watched him, during the evenings and weekends he was a terror to Chris and I. And now that it is just him and me during the days again, he is testing me left and right. Some of the "low"lights:

* Favorite word is No. Only he says it all long and drawn out with a definite defiant tone: "Nooooo-aaaaaahhhh!"
* When we try and get him to look at us so we can explain something or discipline, he shuts his eyes really tight and looks away.
* He throws multiple fits a day and has started hitting me and things out of anger.
* He often refuses to listen and deliberately disobeys. Many times he starts laughing with glee at his misbehavior (which is actually happening as I type this - he is trying to put his feet and his hands all over the laptop which he knows better).

But there are those moments of discovery, of laughter, and of sweetness that make up for all the bad moments.

* Today after a run in with Gus and a rough morning obeying, Sam says, "There are two bad a-tudes (translation: attitudes). Gus is one, I am two."
* We were laughing yesterday and I said, "You are one silly boy!" Sam responds, "No, I'm two!"
* He has been noticing the differences between mommy & him. He calls my breasts "hoobs" and his nipples "buttons". One day when he was wearing a button up shirt that had a pocket all scrunched up, he remarks, "I have one hoob!"
* As we were going through Costco this evening after an incredibly rough afternoon, he gives everyone who passes by the biggest grin and giggle. I love that sweetness.
* He seems to understand the baby that is coming and often gives my tummy hugs and kisses for his big sister. He also tries to pour water into my belly button to give the baby a drink.
* He loves learning about his letters and their sounds, and counting. He likes to remark on how many of something there is - like "I have two grandmas!"

There were a couple of other funny stories that I wanted to record, but alas, I can't remember them. So friends, if you remember them - please remind me! I wish I was like my good friend Carrie who is always so good at recording her daughters' moments.

5 comments:

Keisha Valentina said...

I love this! He is so cute! Thank you for sharing. I wish we would have had an opportunity to meet when we lived in Seattle, I think we would have gotten along... It is good to have a new blog friend though! :)

Still praying for you.

Amber said...

Oh, I just love that little guy...the good, the bad and the ugly :)

This is a great idea! Especially including the bad and ugly parts. Lots to look back and laugh on.

Rachel said...

I'm sure you're lying about the bad parts. (excuse me while I laugh because I know that isn't true!)

I did a pretty good job with Nate writing down some of his things but I wrote down a lot less with Alex. I think putting these on your blog is such a good idea! I still sometimes put things on mine that are really more for my memory than anything else.

Sam is such a cutie! Hang in there and be firm now. You will be so happy you did later.

Jess said...

Oh, Heather! What a crazy kid! I remember how overwhelming it was when I was pregnant with Robby during his "terrible two" phase-sooo not fun! Can't wait to see you guys next week!

Amber Red said...

So Cute! He really is cute and I have to say it is comforting to know that my kids aren't the only ones that disobey :)