Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sonship

We discussed Sonship at SFL 2 weeks ago.  So unfortunately this post won't be as dynamic as it may have been if I wrote it earlier.  Unlike some of the other weeks, I haven't really been processing this one.  I was thinking about why that is and I think it is because out of all of them, this is the one I struggle to believe the most.

Why?

Because it is the hardest one to fathom...

You see this incredible God that created us, gave us a chance to be redeemed from our sinful brokenness, and for some strange reason desires a relationship with me, has seen fit to actually crown us as co-heirs with Jesus Christ.

What?!  If I thought He was crazy to begin with wanting to have a relationship with me who has rejected Him countless times, He must really be crazy to give me that position of privilege and honor, next to the only One who deserves it.

Apparently, He didn't just save us from something, He saved us to something.  Something higher than we could ever imagine, something that makes all of our earthly hopes and dreams look like a pile of manure.

You see, as Christ's followers, we have now been adopted as sons & daughters of the Most High.  We are now royalty rather than slaves.

Here are some of the passages we looked at if you don't believe me or if you just want to marvel again at His mercy:

Luke 2:46-52
Isaiah 9:2-7
John 17:4
Matthew 5:43-45
Romans 8:13-23
1 Corinthians 4:15-17
Galatians 4-7

We discussed what it means to be Children of God, not just slaves to His purpose.

  • A Child of God TRUSTS in the security and safety of God, while a slave trusts in the security and safety of the world around them.
  • A Child of God is DEFINED by Christ's perfection, while a slave is defined by their sin, weakness, & failure.
  • A Child of God BOASTS in their own weakness, while a slave boasts in their own accomplishments.
In looking at that list, who do you more identify with?  A Child of God or a slave?  I know that I identify more with a slave.  I can read God's word, recite some of it back to you, stating I am adopted as His daughter.  But at a heart level, I simply don't believe it.  I don't WANT to believe it, because it has the potential to shake EVERYTHING up.

If I truly believed this, how would my life change?

A few weeks ago at MOPS, our table dressed up for Halloween.  We were all beauty queens and our table leader, Christy, made us sashes and bought us crowns that light up.  I have my crown sitting out on my dresser where I get ready as a reminder to me that I am a princess.  I am hoping that as I grow closer to Christ, I will want to believe this truth.  That I will want to accept the crown that I have been offered and all the responsibilities and privileges that come with it.  That I will want to give up my mortal securities, definitions, and accomplishments for God's immortal security, definition, and delight in my weaknesses.

I am a Child of God.  I am a co-heir with Christ. 

3 comments:

Amber said...

Great post!

On the first part:Love the questions you have brought forth for us to think about. I am but a slave.

On the ending: Amen Sista! Love the great use of your princess crown. Such a vital thing for us to remember.Co heirs to the thrown...

Abbey said...

This is crazy because I just read the chapter in Practical Theology for Women that deals with being an heir with Christ...Hmmm... Maybe Someone is trying to get through to me too... =)

Bina said...

Loved this post. It is utterly astonishing what the ramifications of sonship really are, and I know I don't even know half of them! I am so grateful to such an awesome God!