Thursday, November 13, 2008

Spirit Led Life

Last week at SFL they discussed the Spirit Led life.  Unfortunately I was unable to be there due to a previous commitment.  A big thanks to Kami who came over today and discussed it with me!  And thanks to Chris, Jason & Stacie who shared some of their thoughts after the discussion.

I haven't had much time to think about this but I wanted to go ahead and blog about it since tonight we are discussing The Disciplined Life and I feel that a lot of my processing for both will come in the following weeks.

I don't remember learning much about the Holy Spirit growing up.  The only time I remember a sermon or any kind of teaching was actually as a young adult when I was at home visiting.  I think as I am reading through some of the Scripture and discussing things with others, that I attribute most of the Spirit's role in my life to Jesus.  So I have a lot to learn as far as who is the Holy Spirit?  What is His role in the Trinity?  What is His role in my life?  How do I recognize His presence in my life?

I distinctly remember learning (or at least my interpretation of what they were teaching) that being filled with the Holy Spirit was different than becoming a Christian, and not something that everyone would have.  And then the waters got even muddier in college when I visited other churches that were "Spirit-filled" that I thought were either extremely frightening or comical.

Since then, I think I have mostly ignored that aspect of the Godhead, that aspect of my life in Christ, and how the Spirit operates in the world.  I am anxious to learn more.

I guess that is all I really can say right now because I am just trying to understand it more, trying to see the Spirit in scripture and in life.  Kami recommended a book that she just finished reading and is really excited about called, "Surprised by the Power of the Holy Spirit" by Jack Deere.  I am planning on checking it out.

If you have read this book or any others, or just have thoughts or knowledge about the Holy Spirit, I'd love to hear more!

1 comment:

Bina said...

Hi Heather,

Three resources (other than Scripture) have been extremely helpful to me on this subject this year:

1) A class that Kristian taught called "Glorious Joy". I can send you the slides. They are full of Scripture references. This class had a huge impact on my understanding of the Holy Spirit, and consequently, on my faith.

2) Father, Son and Holy Spirit: Roles, Relationships, and Relevance by Bruce Ware. This is a easy to understand and yet very deep book with tons of great Scripture references. It is also a practical book as it ties in the Trinity to our relationships, particularly in marriage.

3) This essay by Jonathan Edwards (which I haven't even finished reading because it is so heavy--but really the concepts in it are hugely helpful so far):

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edwards/trinity/files/trinity.html

Praying that the Holy Spirit would bless your study of Him!

Love, Bina

2)