One of the things I really liked about our discussion and the passages we were studying is that the purpose for the disciplines should be about connecting with God and not just checking off our spiritual To Do List. That is something I have struggled with in the past.
There are 2 ways to practice the spiritual disciplines:
1. Practicing them to make our flesh stronger through human effort.
2. Practicing them to become weak & submit to God.
I have always done the first. You know, read the Bible - check, pray - check, memorize a verse - check. I am getting more disciplined under my own efforts with the wrong attitude. So I may be improving in a specific area, but it is not necessarily God working through me to change, but me training myself to act differently.
Under this method, time in the disciplines can be very dry and changes are not long-lasting. I easily get discouraged and stop doing it.
I don't want my time with God to be about checking something off my list, looking good to others, or training myself to be a better person. I want to connect with God, get to know Him more, and through His power, change and become the person He wants me to be. I want my time to be meaningful and worthwhile, not reading a chapter and then forgetting what I read immediately.
So the thing we discussed in our training groups is how do you connect with God? How can you do it more?
I'm not really sure how I connect with God right now. This looks so different for everyone and also changes depending on our life circumstances. I had been getting up when Chris left for work and trying to get some time in with God before Sam wakes up, but I have been slacking lately. I have done "devotions in the flesh" for so many years that it is hard to break out of old habits and REALLY spend time with God.
I'd love to hear how you connect with God. When do you feel closest to Him?
3 comments:
Worshiping through music is one way I really like to connect w/ God but I see thats not on the list. Hmmmmm. I sometimes just love to pour my heart out to Him through song. And when I'm feeling bad about myself singing Him a praise song has helped me to step outside myself and I've often felt very connecting w/ Him when I'm praising Him rather then asking for stuff.
I can connect w/ Him others ways listed but a lot of time it seems like I am going through the motions and not really connecting with Him. I've tried that whole meditaing thing and it doesn't really work for me. But then again when am I ever comfortable in total silence.
Good things to ponder on...
I'm really enjoying this series you are doing about what you are learning in your class! I feel closest to God when I read the Bible, hear good preaching or read good theology, sing His praises, have fellowship with His people, pray, serve, etc. I love to get good chunks of time in the Word. Sometimes I get a good chunk of time to read a lot, and I take advantage of that. Other times I only get a little time to read. Some days, I don't get the chance to read at all. I try not to beat myself up when I don't get a chance to read--remembering that it is not some legalistic thing. However, I start to feel like I haven't taken a shower if I haven't read my Bible in a few days--I feel grimey and not quite right. I also feel vulnerable to the sniper's attacks. I love the book "The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence. It is about a simple monk who is a cook. He communes with God throughout the day in simple and continuous prayer. He doesn't allow the sniper to distract him with despair or condemnation when he messes up. He confesses and moves on. This is so amazing! It reminds me of The Message translation of Matthew 11:27-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." Sorry, this ended up being more of a blog post than a comment. Thanks for sharing what God is teaching you, Heather. I'm totally blessed because of it!
Bina, I heard about that book recently somewhere else, but I can't remember where. It sounds excellent!
Post a Comment