Monday, March 23, 2009

The Memory Monster

My father has an incredible memory. He was a junior high teacher & coach, then later an administrator for his career. He remembers pretty much every kid that came his way. He also remembers who they were related to, what activities they participated in, etc. He remembers facts - not surprisingly, he was a history major. We have always marveled at his memory. Don't even try to beat him at Trivial Pursuit.

And now, there is my son who I am beginning to think takes after his Papa in more than just his looks. It is so amazing to watch the little guy learn and think. He seems to have a sharp memory - and yesterday he surprised us with it.

Back on September 6th, I blogged about Sam's reaction to our local fireworks. (And no, I did not remember the date - I had to go back and search!). Since that time, we don't think he has seen fireworks again. Certainly not from our front yard. Yesterday the TV was on and there was a segment on the show about pyrotechnics and these guys whose hobby it is to make cool fireworks. Sam saw that and started talking about seeing fireworks in our front yard. So apparently he remembered that from way back in September.

Unfortunately, he also remembers what Mommy tells him. So already I have a little checker who tells me that I said he could do this, or have that... Oh my. I need to be more careful about what I say around him now.

****

This blog has been such a great way for me to remember all the little things about Sam that I haven't gotten around to writing down or scrapbooking, so I am happy that I have this with #2. Already I feel like I have forgotten important facts about Sam's first year of life that I wanted to preserve, so having the blog to begin #2's life will be such a blessing.

Speaking of #2, I felt him/her for the first time last Sunday. I probably felt other movements beforehand, but this was the first time I felt I could say it was the baby for certain. And since that time, I have been daily blessed with the signs of life growing and moving inside me. Next Monday is our ultrasound. I can't wait to get a glimpse of this little one!

1 comment:

Amber said...

My new nick name for your little guy is

"SUPER SMART SAM!"

(you gotta say it really fast and sort of sing it and it sounds really cool. I'll gladly demostrate next time we chat)

PS- I know he takes after his Papa but he also gets some of his smarts and cleverness from his...

"SUPER SMART MOM!"