Thursday, January 28, 2010

My new BFF

Today was the 2nd time I have hung out with my new BFF.

I met her a couple of weeks ago at my dentist's office. But wait...I am getting ahead of myself. Let me give you the background information.

I have never been one of those people that have been afraid or even bothered by going to the dentist office. But as I have gotten older, it has been getting harder and harder. I get more and more anxious. I went to the dentist in December for a check-up. This dentist is my favorite that I have had, very gentle. But as I hadn't been for a couple of years, there was a lot to do and unfortunately I needed some follow-up work. During the exam, I got very anxious and felt a few times that I was going to suffocate. So I talked to the receptionist about it and she arranged a special introduction for my next appointment.

And it was then that I met my new BFF. Her name is Nitrous. Nitrous Oxide. She is a lot of fun and really has helped my anxiety. Our first meeting was a blast. Dr. F hooked us up, gave us a couple of minutes to get acquainted and then began to do his work. By that time, I was so intrigued by Nitrous that I didn't even notice what he was doing. I would occasionally hear him ask me to turn this way or open wider, which I would comply, but it didn't take my attention away from this interesting new friend of mine.

We had great background music for our first meeting that allowed her to take me back on a sentimental journey. The first song was Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx. This song came out the summer before I moved - so it was a song that really summed up my life at that time. Then next came I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston, taking me further up Memory Lane to my senior year of high school. Memories of hanging out with my friend Rochelle that I met through our work at Burgers Etc, (oh, the cheeseburgers with XS, fry sauce, and yummy milkshakes...), us watching The Bodyguard, and even the scary guy exposing himself in the Walmart parking lot became a comical flashback with my new BFF, Nitrous, leading the way.

At the end of the appointment, I was sorry to see her go and so very thankful that our encounter had eased my anxiety and made this dental visit a nice experience. I scheduled my next visit and meeting with her.

And that second visit was today. Now, I don't know if it was the work that needed to be done, the fact that there were no good songs on the radio, or just that it was our second time meeting, but she was a lot less dazzling this time. Nevertheless, she got me through a hard appointment and a couple of close calls with Panic. I am thankful for her presence today and if I ever should have the need for more dental work, I will be sure to request her assistance at my side.

So I have a new BFF. But don't worry real-life BFF, she is only an extra and will hopefully be used sparingly in the future.


4 comments:

Abbey said...

Man, I haven't seen her in a loooong time, but she was so great for me too when I had my teeth pulled as a kid... =)

Amber said...

When I meet her...ooooo...I'm gonna...

Whitney said...

I'm jealous. I so need a BFF like that. Except I need her for work. I wonder if that would be grounds for dismissal or if other people would just start bringing their friends too. Something to think about! I love you.

Unknown said...

Oh, I've met her too and we did NOT get along. I think she's intolerable and oppressive. Perhaps I'd be a lousy drunk, too.