Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Grateful Heart

I am currently reading, The Priest, by Francine Rivers.  It fictionalizes the story of Aaron, the brother of Moses, as the Israelites are leaving Egypt and wandering in the desert.

This has been a hard book for me to read - not because I am not enjoying it, but because I have to put it down out of frustration about the grumbling Israelites.  I hear them complaining incessantly about the conditions in the desert, and I think, "Hello!  Did you not just walk through the Red Sea?!"  It is so discouraging to read and I kept getting angry at them...

... and then it hit me, I am a grumbling Israelite too!  How many times in my life, has God answered my prayers and then I immediately start whining about something else, or asking for something more, despite the wonderful things God has JUST done?

Lord, teach me to live with a grateful heart.  Help me to focus on your blessings and your awesome glory, power, and love.  Help that to be enough for me - help me to thirst for more of You, instead of more of something else.

Thank You Lord for the blessings you give me, both those I see and those I don't see.  You are a generous and loving Creator!

2 comments:

Abbey said...

Ah! I had the SAME reaction to that book! It really is very humbling to know that I'd have/do probably reacted very similarly to the Israelites too. I loved the book too for showing how God is perfectly just and perfectly loving at the same time to both Aaron and the Israelites. Yay! I loved that series!

Amber said...

I love your heart girl! I have a GRATEFUL HEART for you.