I wanted to share with you one of the most tangible times in my life when I felt His presence. It was the summer before my senior year of high school. I was at church camp and we were at the ropes course. It was the first and only time I've had the opportunity to do the course. You may have done one before - and if you are as scared of heights as I am, you'd understand what a daunting experience it can be.
My first task was to climb a tree that had the top cut off. You climb the pegs that have been driven into the tree, and when you get to the top, you stand on the tree top and jump off of it attempting to grab a ring. I was TERRIFIED and completely shaking. I even peed my pants a little! I tried it twice, but apparently it is extremely hard to grab the ring when you can't see it because your eyes are closed!
Then the second task was the course itself. You climb up into the trees and complete several steps, like walking across a tightrope with two guidelines for your hands. I was petrified and the only thing that was getting me across was the peer pressure of people cheering you on from below the ground and the line of kids waiting for me to finish so they could go. There was probably also some cute guy that I was hoping to impress around as there usually is at church camp!
I finally got to the last step and froze. I was on this platform strapped to a zipline. Some of you are probably thinking - COOL! But I felt like stepping off of that platform would lead to my painful death and I wasn't ready to meet Jesus yet. I couldn't move. I was sitting there, shaking, probably crying, and then I prayed.
And God met me there. I felt His peace wash over me as if someone poured a pitcher of warm, refreshing water over me. Once I was covered in His peace, I was no longer afraid. I was calm and I smiled, then hopped off that platform and loved every second of my descent. I was on a God high and had so much fun telling everyone my experience. I have never felt anything like it before and I will NEVER forget how God met my need and blessed me with His physical touch that afternoon.
Now, if you've read this, consider yourself tagged! I want to read a post about a time in your life where you heard God!
2 comments:
Thers's NO HIGH LIKE THE MOST HIGH!!! are you sure that warm refereshing water you were talking about wasn't more pee? Toatlly kidding :) Really though...what an amazing story. Thanks for sharing it. I am so glad God is blessing you w/ his presence today. Love ya :)
Heather,
thank you for sharing that. I think sometimes it takes a while for us, I know for me to comment on serious issues because I have to think about them and process them for a while..its so much easier to comment on silly things...but when someone shares their heart you don't want to screw with that!!!
Post a Comment