Friday, October 3, 2008

Creation

Chris & I are trying out a new discipleship course called The Story-formed Life.  Last night was our first night and we studied Creation.  It is a 10-week course that each week studies a key portion of God's story that we read in His word.  The 10 weeks are as follows:

creation
fall
gospel
lordship
sonship
spirit led life
disciplined life
being the church
kingdom
recreation

We spent the first part of the evening reading excerpts from the creation account and doing what's called Midrash.  We basically dissect and discuss the Scripture.  This is a different approach than I've seen before because we are looking at what we can learn from that Scripture without bringing in what we know from other Scripture.  So like in reading the account last night - it was approached from a what can we learn about God from this passage, what would you think if this is the first time you'd read this without prior knowledge or opinions about God.  I was amazed to see how much you can really learn or think about using that method.

Some of the things that I learned or am thinking about in a new or deeper light than before from those passages are:  God immediately creates order from chaos; He is not only the Creator, He is creative; the things He makes are good; He has authority over nature; He is a provider - and provides abundantly, He gave us purpose; God made us like Him - one of the things that resonates with me is what someone said about how we as humans gravitate and enjoy people that are like us - it is easy for us to communicate with them and we naturally want to know them more - is that why God made us like Him - so we'd be able to communicate and want to know Him more?; God wants our relationship.

It is difficult for me to put into words how this is different than the truths that I've been taught & believed in since I was a little girl.  It is more deep and it requires me to really examine my beliefs on the initial principles in my faith.  So what does this mean for me?

This leads to the 2nd portion of the evening - our Training Groups.  We then broke up into smaller groups where we shared a little about ourselves - our names, why we were in this study, and what challenged us about what we had learned that night.  They often talk in terms of on a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you believe this?  Here is what I am currently chewing on:

1.  It is obvious in Genesis 1, that creation is God's story.  Do I truly believe that?  How should that affect my world view?  Honestly, I operate like my life is about My Story.  That is why I get so caught up in all the little things in life, along with the big.  If I truly believed that I am here as a part of God's story, here to further His story and display His glory, how is that evident in my life?  I would have to put myself as a 1 right now on that scale.

The thing that is so incredible for me about this concept is that it feels extremely freeing.  I feel free in admitting that I don't truly believe it is God's story right now and that explains my actions and so many of my struggles.  And then, if I want to grow that belief (which I do), instead of checking off a list of my behaviors & attitudes that need to change, I need to first reflect on that belief and pray for growth in that area.  The more I believe that essential truth, the more I will naturally change as a byproduct of my belief.  And that, for a perfectionist with OCD tendencies is a freeing concept.

2.  Do I really believe that I am made in God's image?  Do I really believe that others are made in God's image?  If I did, would I struggle with hate and contempt for myself and others like I do?  If I am made in God's image, what does that say about my person?  What benefits are there for me in that fact?  What does that say about people?  How do I assign value and worth to myself and those around me?  I'm probably also a 1 on this scale as well right now since I tend to view myself and others based on our American cultural viewpoint of success, performance, and beauty.

This is another area where changing or growing your belief is freeing.  It is not about me going through my day saying - I should not be so hard on myself, because after all, I am created in God's image.  I should be nice to so and so even if they are mean to me, because they too, are created in God's image.  While that is definitely true, if my belief shifts, than I would naturally start to treat myself and others better.

I am so excited about this study.  Chris and I had one of the best talks about God and our spiritual lives on the way home last night.  I hope and pray that the challenge and freedom I feel this morning can continue into REAL growth that automatically turns into REAL change.

Thank you Lord for this course and the people we are meeting in it - please help us grow closer to You, to understand who You are and what You have done for us, and where we fit into Your story.