What do I learn about my identity from Genesis 1-2?
First and foremost, I am a creation of God. I am created in His image. Genesis 1:27 says,
So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.
Since I am created in God's image, I have to assume that essentially I have worth. God also called all of his creation good. So I have worth and am good. Some of the attributes of God that I see in myself are my desire to bring chaos into order, my desire to create and my enjoyment of the things I have created.
God created me for relationship, not only with Him, but with others. My desire to be loved and to love is part of His image. He walked with Adam & Eve in the garden - He gave them access to Himself.
God rested on the 7th day. I try to live without rest. However, God is laying down an example for us. We need to rest. It is not wrong to need rest, it is part of my nature. It is a good thing to do. It is God-ordained AND God-commanded.
God called everything into being. But when he formed man, he breathed life into his nostrils. That shows intimacy and a physical closeness. God is not a distant god - He is real and He is present. He breathes life into me. He is my oxygen.
God gave man a purpose. I long for purpose in life because God designed me that way. If I am listening, God will show me that purpose. We were not created to be idle - as Matthew Henry puts it in his commentary, "Even in paradise itself, man had to work."
God gave me a help-mate. I am to be one with my spouse. I am joined to my husband.
This is my starting point Lord. This is a glimpse of how You designed us. Thank You that You made humans unique and that You created us to be in relationship with You - the Almighty God. Thank you that I am made in Your image. Thank You for breathing life into me. Thank You for my helpmate and the design You have for marriage. Please help me to rest tonight and sleep well.
And as I sign off Lord, please prepare my mind and my heart for the next step - studying my fallen self. Lord, I want to feel the impact of who I am as a fallen creature - I want to see the need for grace and feel the impact of my sin. But I am scared. Please help me and comfort me as I reflect, meditate, and study that in-depth tomorrow. Help me to know that You are there and even if I stay in the pit awhile, help me to see the purpose of that despair.
5 comments:
I LOVED this post! Knowing our identity in God effects everything in our lives. When I stray from this, I so easily believe the lies of the enemy. Thank you for blessing us with what God is teaching you! Praying that He will continue to reveal Himself to you in wonderful ways in this season of life! Love, Bina
Also here is a good resource on our identity in Christ:
http://thisbmess.wordpress.com/2008/01/24/who-i-am-in-christ/
Man, Heather thank you for these posts! I am loving them. They are an inspiration to me to dig deeper. Even though this is my 4th time through the SFL there is so much to learn and grow from. It is a life-long journey. I resonate with so much of what you're going through.
I'm sending you an email right now for the 4 of us to get together and I'll see you tonight!
My dear Heather,
Another great post! I have much to say so sorry if it doesn't make sense the way it comes out. Call me if you need to :)
First I want to say thank you for your absolute honesty and complete vulnerability. I know that God will bless not just you but also many others through the work he is doing in you.
God never gives us more than we can handle and this valley that you have been in and may be for a while longer is a real testament to the faith you have in our creator. It may not feel like it at times but I see it in you first hand.
I am so blessed to have an amazing friend like you that truly seeks her God given identity and purpose in life. You are inspiring to all of us!!!
As I read these posts one side of me wants to hold you and weep with you in your struggles. The other part of me wants to stand on the side lines cheering you on. I intend on doing both!!! My heart beats w/ joy, excitement and fear as I see Gods mighty hand moving in your life.
Thank you SO much for sharing this journey with us.
I love you and you know I'm praying!
it's so crazy to think that God rested. He must have been really tired....or trying to teach us something. I've been trying to figure out what, though? I've never really had a consistent or intentional sabbath but I wan to dig more into what that means.
Post a Comment